Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Transformation...

*THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK...CLANK clink clack CLANK THUNK THUNK...*
It's been a symphony of construction at our house the past few weeks. While some might find the noise annoying, it was certainly more like music to our ears as years (literally!) of prayers had been creatively answered, even down to how we found a contractor that was perfect for the job we needed done. (Remember all of those neck issues I've been having? I spent months in physical therapy trying to get some relief from the issue and my physical therapist "happened" to mention he knew of a wonderful contractor.) I still remember when the contractor originally came out to our house and stepped around all of the toys in the garage, making measurements and telling us his plans of how he could make the space into a room. He was confident of his ability to transform our space, and while I knew that he could build a room out of our garage, I just wasn't sure how it would ever truly feel like anything but a garage. But, God opened the (garage) door wide open and made it clear this is what we were supposed to do, so we trusted the contractor and embarked on the expansion just a little over three weeks ago.

They started to work on a Monday and the frame went up on Tuesday. I excitedly entered the (still to me) garage after the workers left to see how everything looked, but my heart immediately sank. It looked SO tiny! How would we ever fit any furniture in there?! The space seemed so narrow... Perhaps we made a mistake in how we had planned it out? But thankfully, DH came home and calmed me down, had me walk around other bedrooms in the house for some perspective, and he reminded me that the room wasn't finished yet. It was going to look and feel different when it was all done, but I just wasn't able to see that end result at that point.

We stayed up late that second night into the project with Lucy, covering every single piece of framework in scripture. I'll never forget her turning to me at one point and saying, "Mommy, thank you so much for taking the time to do this with me. This is so special!"

We truly made it her room. I think that's when it started to feel more like it could actually be a bedroom and not just a garage.
We planned out where we thought her bed would go and placed scriptures on the framework by it about not being afraid, since she has often struggled with sleep issues. We placed specific scriptures over the closets and doorways and by the light switch, each one having significance for her precious life. With each step, we all grew more and more excited, but I still couldn't visualize what the finished product could possibly look like.

Every day, things happened that made the room more and more complete. Sheetrock, insulation, and texture were all added...

Built in shelves were added connected to a box-like structure that hid the garage door opener so we could continue to use the door automatically for our "new" remaining garage (it made it look like a built in bookcase) and doors were placed...

Everything got a fresh coat of paint...
And then carpet was laid and all of the finishing touches were made...
It certainly was no longer a garage but truly a gorgeous room and an incredible example of God's kindness and His response to many years of praying for the creativity to make this home work for our family. I find myself just wanting to sit in Lucy's new room and just soak in the beauty within those walls--not just the physical beauty of the fresh paint and pretty decorations, but the beauty of answered prayer, God's perfect timing, and His incredible plan. So often in life, I just cannot see past the ugliness of what I'm going through; I can't make sense of the hurt I'm experiencing or come to terms with the trials I'm facing, but God is able to see past the state that I'm currently in and knows what He's capable of doing through me. He knows what beauty He can make of the ashes. I may not be able to see what He's doing in my present circumstances, and I may not feel like I'll ever be able to view it any differently, but if I'll allow Him, my Jesus has the plans necessary to renovate even the dreariest of hearts into a beautiful, wonderful masterpiece. Just three weeks ago, I was parking my minivan in the very spot that my oldest daughter is now parking her head to sleep each evening, and it's really hard for me to think of it in its previous state now, because the room has truly been transformed. Perhaps I thought we were going to have someone come in and put up a wall, slap some paint on it, and we would just call it Lucy's new bedroom, but it would still always just be an old garage underneath. That's not what happened here though. Our contractor took a dirty old garage and transformed it into something totally new and amazing, and that's exactly what God desires to do with each of us...

The process isn't typically our favorite part of the journey (I think that applies to SO many areas of our lives!)--that's why I didn't really post any pictures about it all while we were in the process of having it done. I really wanted to be able to show it to y'all from start to finish, so I'm super excited that I can now take you on a tour of Lucy's new room, which feels like a big gift straight from our Heavenly Father!
The wall to the left when you walk into the room. We added some of our headbands to this $5 find!

I made the canvas with the theme verse I chose for Lucy years ago. I chose Psalm 66:19 for the chalkboard: "But surely God has listened; He has attended to the voice of my prayer."
...When we started discussing what Lucy might want as the new theme for her bedroom, she had one request: no pink! LOL! If you've seen her old room, you'll understand why! (The walls are VERY very very very pink!) However, she did end up deciding that some pink was actually okay:)  We talked about a music theme, mermaids, and threw some other ideas around, but then she told me one of the things she really wanted to have in her room was a nightstand with a lamp on it. That instantly reminded me of how her name means bringer of light, so we tossed around the idea of doing something with Matthew 5:16 on her walls, and that's when she decided that she wanted her overall theme to be scripture everywhere in her room. I certainly didn't have any objection to that! I love that she wanted her walls filled with Truth!
This might be my favorite design spot! She wanted something with John 3:16 on her walls ($6 clearance at Hobby Lobby!) and I found the little vases on my trip to the silos in Waco the week before her room was finished. Lucy's a huge "Fixer Upper" fan, so I wanted her to have something from my trip there.
I love how when you walk into her room, you see the calm color on the walls (Sherwin Williams' "Tame Teal") mixed with the clean white lines of the built in shelves and the fun, bright colors in her bedding. Instead of a nightstand lamp like originally planned, we ended up going with this fun multi-color floor lamp that bends in different directions, so it's perfect for her to use if she wants to read in bed. We also wanted her first dance recital frame as a focal point when you walk in the room since it's such a beautiful piece and dancing is a big part of her life with her love for musical theater.

The pink felt board has already been changed out three times--Lucy is having lots of fun with it!
Looking at the room from the opposite direction you can see her closet, the hot water heater hidden behind a closet, the door going into the rest of the house, and then another closet! While this room does belong to Lucy, I did tell her that I would be taking over the second closet! LOL! DH had the idea to put Lucy's toybox bench at the foot of her bed which is the perfect place for her to pile all of her stuffed animals into after she gets up every morning.

The built in shelves are seriously amazing! They are HUGE and are the perfect size for Lucy's very own American Girl dollhouse. The bins help hide clutter on the shelves (as much as possible) and she has lots of space for books and nick-knacks.

And in this photo, you can see that Lucy's new room is definitely the place to be! Everyone has been wanting to hang out there and play. Lucy's never been one to want to be off to herself, so I don't think she minds this one bit, yet she still has the option of having somewhere to go that's a little more quiet in the house when she wants to. The photos might not show it very well, but there is plenty of open floor space in the middle of the room which is so nice! You can also see the chest of drawers and desk that I found on facebook marketplace for her at an incredible price . They "just happen" to match the nightstand and headboard almost perfectly that someone passed down to us for her. We still need to find her a desk chair and desk lamp, but she's definitely all settled in and so appreciative of this amazing gift. It really is so precious to look at everything and see how it all came together and how the Lord provided in such a beautiful and abundant way.

One definition I found for the word "transformation" is this: a complete change in the appearance or character of something so that that thing is improved." Our garage has truly undergone a major transformation. My prayer is that as Lucy grows up in this space, her heart will continue to transform into the young woman God would have her to be. Keep shining brightly my little light bringer!

No comments:

Post a Comment