Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Peppermint Marshmallow Candle...

This may be a record for how long I've gone between published blogposts. I've started many, but just haven't been able to finish them and actually post them. It's been a busy season changing from the various hats I'm blessed to wear right now. I'll admit that many of the past several months have been quite challenging and have caused me to hold things closer to my heart. I think I may understand a little more about what Luke 2:19 means in saying that, "But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart." Today isn't the day to dive into all of that, but I hope one day I can share it all here.

...

I'm currently sitting by our front window snuggled up in my favorite Mema blanket.  The chill coming from the front window coupled with the view of the streets blanketed in leaves having fallen from the now bare trees definitely set the perfect mood for an early December day. The past few days, I've really been wanting a candle to put in my studio to fill the house with a nice Christmas-y scent. I immediately thought of those amazing Bath and Body Works ones--you know how they always have the best holiday smelling candles? I just didn't think that was something I needed to spend the money on right now though. We went out as a family today to do some Christmas shopping, and Lucy and I went to pick out some gifts at Bath and Body Works. I found myself over at the candle section smelling this amazing Peppermint Marshmallow scent. We later headed for the line and Lucy asked me, "Where's the candle, Mom? I thought you wanted it?" I told her, "I'm not going to get it. I don't usually buy presents for myself before Christmas." A few moments later, a lady behind us in line came up and asked Lucy what the name of the candle was that I was wanting because she wanted to bless me with it. I couldn't believe it. She ran over to find it and I just started crying. The past several days I had been wanting a Bath and Body Works candle--it wasn't anything I needed by any means, but a total stranger simply heard a conversation I had with my daughter and, on the spot, chose to live generously and selflessly.

During the Christmas season, we reflect on lots of things and we practice many traditions. Perhaps the widest spread tradition is that of giving gifts. We may often lose sight of the reason behind our doing this, but the theme behind giving and receiving gifts is all because of our Saviour that was given to us so that we might have the gift of eternal life should we choose to receive it. Our church is currently asking our congregation to focus on acts of giving throughout this holiday season as we reflect on Christ's amazing gift to us. I find it so beautiful how the Lord would choose to allow me to be the recipient of such a precious example of someone's desire to be a blessing to someone else. I pray that the Lord will help me to have a spirit of generosity like this sweet woman did for me today.

Pass it on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment