Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Today is special because of YOU!

Today is a bittersweet day for our family.  Bitter because we lost DH's precious Aunt April on this day two years ago.  April was such a blessing to our family--she was kind, compassionate, always fun to be around, and most importantly, she knew the Lord and was truly a light for Him.  I found myself having a moment this morning where I just sat and cried as I thought of her, because I missed her so much.  I miss her wisdom and encouragement, and I miss all of the things that we've missed out on experiencing with her (if that makes sense.)  She loved children so much (and children loved her, too!) and was crazy about Lucy, and I know she would have just fallen in love with our little Gabriel, too.  But though I tear up even as I type these words, I also can't help but smile, because I know she is in the presence of our Lord right now, and she is worshiping Him, possibly even in song and perfect rhythm!  (If you knew April, you'll understand that last statement;-)  So even though we miss our Aunt April (and she truly wasn't just my husband's aunt--she always treated me as if I had been born into the family, too) I am comforted in knowing I will see her again, and if she were here today, I know she'd be joining in on wishing DH the happiest of birthdays.

And that's where we come to the sweet part of today...

Today is DH's 35th birthday!  I was joking the other day at the dinner table and said to Lucy, "Daddy's 'turning old' on Wednesday!" to which she replied, "Why is he doing that??!" and then a few moments later, she added, "Daddy, you're going to be older than Mommy.  Daddy's way ahead!"  LOL:)  And seeing as how I've dug my heels in at 29 (I'll celebrate my 3rd annual 29th birthday this summer;-), I will agree with my wise little 5 year old that yes, Daddy is "way ahead" of Mommy, but not just in age...

Just like his aunt, DH has so many admirable traits, and I was reminded of one of them during a phone conversation with him yesterday.  We were discussing something that has been heavy on both our hearts lately.  You know those things that come up in life that you think you have given over to God and have a good handle on, only to realize you certainly don't?  Well, that's been me this past week, but I was so convicted as I listened to what DH had to say yesterday.  He wasn't directing it towards me--he was talking about himself and how God was leading his own heart and his own attitude.  He spoke with such humility and conviction and a desire to please God and bring Him glory.  After I got off the phone, I found myself bowing before God, confessing my own attitude before Him.  My husband is not only my best friend, but he truly takes his role seriously as the spiritual leader of our household.  I am so blessed that God chose him for me and our children.  He shows Jesus us to each and every day in so many different ways--in the way he speaks to us and others, the way he loves us and others, and the way he responds to us and others.  Our world is certainly a better place because God has placed him in it:)
"Today is special because of YOU!"

...

This time last year, I had decorated various spots in the house with little notes for DH's birthday.  All of them were pretty much taken down the next day except for this one.  I just couldn't bring myself to take it down because I love the thought that DH sees it every morning on his way out the door to work. And, while it was meant as a birthday sign, its message rings true for every day of the year--EVERY day is special that DH is apart of:)

 So how did we celebrate DH's special day?  Since today is a church day, we decided to celebrate his birthday a day early.  He specifically told me he really just wanted to spend his birthday as a family, so I made baked ziti, homemade bread, and Lucy helped me make an apple crisp, and the four of us had dinner together.  It was a special time for us, sitting at the table with each chair filled with someone, because last year we most certainly felt that someone was missing from DH's birthday celebration, but now, he is here--our precious Gabriel Paul:)  In fact, you may remember that last year, on DH's birthday, we received an Email stating we had been approved for adoption through Christian Homes!  I had prayed specifically for the Lord to allow us to received our approval on DH's birthday and either a match or get to bring home our baby on my birthday.  It was a bold prayer, but I felt God was calling me to be bold with Him.  And today I'm reminded that He continues to want me to be bold before Him while trusting Him fully with the outcome.  Just like we read in Job 1:21, "The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD", today represents a day to us where God has given and God has taken away, but we are still called to praise His name, because we know that HE knows best.  I am so thankful for that, and thankful for a husband to me and father to our children that will remind me of that great truth and point us to our Heavenly Father.

Happy Birthday, DH.  We love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment