Saturday, March 9, 2013

Springing forward...

I couldn't help but laugh as I read the opening statement for today's devotional in "My Utmost for His Highest":

Turning Back or Walking with Jesus?

The reason it struck me with such irony is that today is quite possibly one of the most dreaded days of the years: it's time to "spring forward."  A part of me seriously believes that whoever came up and implemented this horrible idea was purposely trying to play a cruel joke on parents of young children.  Can I get an AMEN from my fellow mommas out there?!  I mean, it's not just that we're going to lose an entire hour of sleep...we're going to lose all ground on sleep-training efforts just so that it can stay light outside for a little bit longer.

OK...I'll admit, I DO like that part about it.  As a cyclist, the whole "fall back" thing really puts a cramp on available training time, so springing forward certainly does have its benefits, especially for a momma of young kiddos.  It's hard to get my training in during the day, so if I have extra daylight, it's much easier to find the time to get my mileage in.

So, I'll admit it, it's not ALL bad;-)

But, regardless of which side of the fence you hang out on for this particular topic, I can't help but think of the spiritual meaning it has in our lives, too...

Do we eagerly "SPRING forward" to what God has for us, or are we content to just "FALL back" into our old way of life?

The Lord recently convicted me of something I'd been struggling with, and I laid it before Him...only to have it rear its ugly head just a matter of hours later...so I laid it down again...and again...and again...At some moments, it seems easier to just fall back into my old way of life, but deep down, that's really not how I want to live.  I want to live victoriously!  I want to live for Christ!  I want to bring Him glory!

So, when my alarm clock wakes me up an hour earlier in the morning, while I may not spring happily out of bed, I do hope my heart will spring willingly forward with a readiness, willingness, and excitement for what God has for me!  (Which hopefully will include an afternoon nap;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment