Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fore Score and One Piano Tuning Ago...

We had a visitor at our house this week, and this ivory-tickling gal is very happy because of it!  In other words, we got the piano tuned today:)  I try to get it tuned once a year, so it's been at least one year since he was here last.  Last time he came, I had to convince Lucy that he wasn't the "bad man who broke mommy's piano"!  Gotta love how kids repeat everything...especially the bits that they get confused about and don't repeat correctly;-)  (SIDE NOTE: When we moved here, the mover was very careless and caused my piano leg to get broken.  I was HEARTBROKEN, and he was just plain RUDE about the whole thing.  The man who tunes our piano is the same man who repaired the leg.)  So how does this bit of information have anything to do with this blog?  Welllll...

You might remember this particular post from last March.  We were anxiously preparing for our homestudy.  While it wasn't a "requirement" to have the room put together for the baby, we wanted to go ahead and clear out where his room was going to be, so once we were approved we would be as prepared as possible to welcome our baby home at any time:)  We were pretty concerned with what we were going to do with my piano tho.  We knew it needed to find a new place in the house, but even aside from that problem, we were just worried about having to move it period since the movers had damaged the leg.  So, I called our piano tuner and asked if we could hire him or if he knew of someone we could get to move it and explained why we were needing to do so.  He didn't seem to think it would be an issue to move it ourselves though, so DH and our good friend Blake (affectionately known in our house as the "lizard whisperper" after "rescuing" Lucy and me from a lizard roaming in our garage:-) moved my beautiful Kawai into the living room (which is really a much better place for it anyway:)

It's just amazing to me to think that just a year ago (or just "one piano tuning ago:) we were a family of three...I remember those days and treasured those days as our little trio, but I just can't imagine not being the "quatro" that we are now.  It just doesn't make sense to me.  When the piano tuner arrived, he said, "You family has grown since I was here last!" And I was reminded what a blessing we've been given.  I will be the first to admit I get very frustrated when people say how "easily" or "quickly" our adoption went through, because they just aren't seeing the whole picture of it all.  (No, we didn't have to wait ten years to have a child, but I promise you there was SO much more to it than just the 6 months that was shared on our blog.)  HOWEVER, I don't ever want to minimize what God has done for us.  Once we began the process through an agency, our wait time was VERY short, and overall the process went extremely smoothly for us.  God was preparing our hearts for a long time to be Gabriel's parents, just no one else knew that but Him until right before it happened:-)  I remember when I first began feeling God was calling us to adopt was when I noticed how my prayers had changed from "Lord please let us get pregnant" to "Lord please bless us with a child."  And Lucy began praying, "Dear Jesus, please be with my baby brother and sister..."  I began to wonder, What if the child we so long to parent is not one that we are waiting to find out we are pregnant with, but a child that already exists?  And that was truly the case, because Gabriel's birthmother was pregnant with him at that time!  It still amazes me when I think how God wove all of the details so intricately together.  It's easy to lose sight of that when we get weighed down by every day life, but I pray I can always stay "in tune" to how He is working...

And speaking of being "in tune," my Kawai is sounding beautiful after her tuning, and Lucy got to be the first one to practice on her! She has been telling me she wants to take lessons, but I think I kept putting her off because I didn't want to push it with her. Nothing would thrill my musician's heart more than to see my kids love the piano, but I don't want them to think they HAVE to if they don't want to. I want to invest in their God-given talents...and whether it's Beethoven or Basketball, I will be their number one fan! (Although, if I'm being honest, I REALLY would prefer it not be basketball;-) At any rate, Lucy kept asking for me to teach her, so I gave her something to work on and told her if she practiced the whole week, I would let her take lessons. I really thought she would lose interest (she does that with all but a very few things.) but she kept bringing up that she wanted to practice and would sit there and work through her "songs." So, on Tuesday, I gave her her very first "official" piano lesson...and I couldn't believe how easily she picked up on everything! The pianist and the teacher inside of me was jumping up and down, and the momma inside of me was beaming from the inside out! I'm in my hometown with GP taking care of my momma this weekend (she had MAJOR dental work done yesterday) and Lucy is spending the weekend with her daddy. I sent him a text last night and asked if he could help her practice her piano and he texted back with, "She already asked!" *squeel* I know it seems silly that this makes me so happy, but it's just such an awesome feeling to love someone so much and have them share in something you love, too. It's just a sweet little bonding time for us in a way. She looks at me with those big beautiful blue eyes and says, "Mommy, will you sit next to me on the bench and play the piano with me?" Melts my heart:) Anyway, here are pictures of her practicing and enjoying her first lesson:)





No comments:

Post a Comment