Friday, October 19, 2012

Flower Picking...

Lucy is such an intuitive little girl. She gets very concerned when she sees that people are upset or hurting, and the other day when I was sick was no different. Remember my not-so-grown-up reaction to my shot at the dr's office? Well, after the waterworks I entered our van where my little girl saw the tears streaming down my face. I love how she kept trying to brighten me up-such a sweetie! On the way home, this was our conversation:

Lucy: "Mommy, I was going to pick a pink flower for you at the church, but it had forns in it so I didn't."

Me: "Do you mean thorns?"

Lucy: "Yes, the pokey ones."

At the time, it definitely put a smile on my face, but as I reflected on it later, it also put a smile in my heart. You see, even my little Lucy recognized that often times, things that appear lovely and beautiful can contain the ability to hurt us or others. Lucy loves me, and she wanted to do something sweet for me, but once she realized that it could hurt me, she chose not to do it.

It reminded me of Matthew 7:9-11:
“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

It also made me think of the things of this world. So many times, things entice us-they look good or fun or pretty, but if we take a deeper look, we see that they have the ability to harm us. Many people view Christianity as a bunch of rules, but God is merely trying to protect us from the things that could cause us harm. He LOVES us, and so He doesn't want us to choose things that would bring pain to our lives or others'. One example: As a wife, it's often easy for me to want to do things my way, but the Bible calls me to be submissive. Having the control may seem enticing, but if I don't submit to my husband I enter a very dangerous pathway that can profoundly impact my marriage, which then impacts my children as well. Our choices have consequences, and while we are given the freedom of choice, that doesn't mean we always choose the RIGHT choice. As a mom, it's my job to guide my children down the right path, and I do that by leading by example. It is my prayer that I lead them straight to the feet of Jesus!

So yes, little Lucy, watch out for those pretty flowers along life's path that may have thorns sticking out of them, and always seek to bring people good and not harm...
Lucy loving on me while I was sick (Yes, I realize this is probably why when one of us gets sick, the rest follow suit.  We can't help but love on each other though!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment