Friday, October 19, 2012

You are what you eat...

We've recently been dealing with a very picky four year old where food is concerned.  She used to be an amazing eater--loved fruits and veggies (you'll notice in many pictures of her when she was a baby that her nose was orange because of all of the carrots and sweet potatoes she would eat:) But somewhere along the road she decided to assert her freedom of choice, and lets just say that mealtime can often look more like a battlefield of wills in our household. I'm really not concerned about her going hungry-I know she will eventually eat if she's truly hungry. My main concern is I really don't want her to be so picky about what she does eat. When something is set in front of her, I want her to be gracious and thankful. It's more about the ATTITUDE behind her response to certain foods that concerns me, if that makes sense.

It's also "funny" to note: I remember practically having a panic attack over starting Lucy on solid foods. I was so concerned with the best way to go about introducing things, and I put a LOT of thought into it all...and yet here we are and none of that worrying did me a bit of good! Of course, when did worry EVER do us a bit of good??

Another funny sidenote: for "twin day" at school this week (spirit week for homecoming) Lucy and her friend Abby dressed up as chefs. I think that was also the day she hardly touched her lunch tray!  (See closing photo) :/

Anyway...so I was thinking about this whole food issue with Lucy the other morning and opened up one of my devotions. It centered around this verse:

Matthew 5:6
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

I had to stop and ask myself, what do I hunger and thirst after? What do I fill my plate with to bring me satisfaction? Do I yearn for the "junk" of this world, or do I crave what is good? As I seek to guide my daughter to make healthy choices in her physical diet, I pray that I can lead her in how to make healthy choices in her spiritual diet, too. After all, you know what they say: "You are what you eat." What are YOU filling yourself up with today??

No comments:

Post a Comment