Sunday, October 7, 2012

Seasons...

We had a huge cold front come in here to the south this weekend. It's crazy how a week ago it was in the 90's, and now here we are in the 40's. This time of year, I always find myself missing living in Illinois and getting to experience a true fall, because in Texas it's as if we go straight from summer to winter most of the time! Of course, right now is just a little tease, because it will be back to shorts and tanktop weather in a few days, but the weekend temps gave each of us a glimpse of what's to come, which is all a part of the changing of seasons.

As I was sitting here in my new favorite slouchy sweatshirt with my baby boy snuggled closely to me, I was reminded how the seasons in our lives aren't just from the weather forecast. I was just telling someone this evening in regards to a certain situation that "I just have to remind myself that I'm not in that season of life right now." As I sit here rocking my baby boy, my mind feels flooded with all of the things I have on my to-do list: the dirty clothes piling up (we have experienced not one, not two, but-wait for it!-THREE diaper explosions this weekend...so far!), the mound of luggage that needs to be unpacked after this weekend's trip to Oklahoma, the craft orders I need to finish up (and the other ones I'm really WANTING to finish up), the flat tires in my road bike that signify I haven't gotten to ride in months, the unopened workout DVD on my counter, the jogging stroller folded up in the garage waiting to be taken out for a spin...the list goes on. Basically, my house needs a good cleaning and my body is dying for some consistent training...but my baby boy was needing some mommy-time, and I'm sure you can guess what sat highest in the list of priorities. I'm not saying I'm not going to clean my house or that I'm going to stop workout out. But what I'm reminded of is that all of those things wait...EXCEPT for my little boy. This is my season of life to snuggle him closely, and if I'm not careful, the winds will change and this time will be gone. That doesn't mean I neglect everything else that needs to be done or even just things that I enjoy doing; it simply means I'm doing my best to keep it all in perspective. Those dirty dishes will still be there in the morning, but this moment right here with my Gabriel Paul will be gone in the blink of an eye. Oh how very blessed I am to be this little boy's mama, and I pray I never take this privilege for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment